Salam untuk Tun,
1. In initial stage, its undoubtedly that Tun did a great job on establishing Proton and implement protectionism policy to assist this infant industry. However, Proton had became a eternity infant company, due to the absence of long-run development planning.
2. As we all know, Proton's car is unsafe compare to other brands such as Toyota or Honda. All those better car selling cheap in other countries, but not Malaysia. Because of the protectionism policy which was implemented 20 years, we got to pay higher price as 300% to acquire a better and safety car.
3. "We could not achieve this because of their protected car market." Then don't you think "Malaysia Boleh" is an empty slogan? Do you ever think of why they able to grab the market share even though we got strong protectionism policy? Its all about R&D and the competitiveness they accumulated from the competition in free market.
4. The present management is better but it still far to compete with others. Its kind of over spoiled child. Eventually it will falls in liquidation and declares bankruptcy due to high competition rivalry in future globalization market.Its just the matter of time.
5. Anyway, don't worry, AFTA memorandum still in pending.
6. Tun is not going to bear this because you are no longer the PM. However, the history is cruel, it will just record down everything. Oh man, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia are laughing on us.